A hearing impairment does not mean that you can’t live a happy, high-quality life
With the amount of research and technology now at our disposal, living with a hearing impairment does not have to prevent you from living your best life.
Sadly, many people delay treating a hearing problem for years because it can be so slow and gradual that its hard to realize how much life has changed from the normal state. Causes of hearing problems are diverse and can impact relationships which are often the essence of people’s lives.
However, if you take action and assess and rehabilitate your hearing, you may find that it can be managed well. Getting the right help and support if you suffer from hearing difficulties is of great importance.
Treating a hearing impairment earlier means that replaced sound is easier to get used to. Auditory skills for speech understanding can be retained more effectively if the brain has access to consistent sound and progress towards a more normal daily life can happen at a faster rate.
At NB Hearing, we begin with the foundation of thorough diagnosis for each patient who comes to us with a hearing difficulty. We define:
Main types (classifications) of hearing problems and their causes:
- Conductive Hearing Loss – when there is an issue with the outer or middle ear that prohibits sound from reaching the inner ear. This may be amenable to medical treatment.
- Sensorineural Hearing Loss – this occurs when the inner ear (Cochlea) or auditory nerve fibres are damaged and fail to send a clear message to the brain. It is usually permanent.
- Mixed Hearing Loss – this is when results indicate that both conductive and sensorineural hearing loss are present simultaneously.
A hearing impairment can be caused by several factors. Some of the common reasons for hearing problems include:
- Severe middle-ear infections
- A genetic predisposition
- Constant exposure to loud noise
- Severe head injuries or operation trauma
- Use of certain medications, or exposure to certain chemicals
- The sooner you seek help, the better. Contact us at NB Hearing to make an appointment for a reliable hearing test and accurate diagnosis.