Meet Hanneke, a qualified clinical audiologist dedicated to hearing rehabilitation
Driven by my love for people, and the wish to help them communicate with others despite their hearing loss, I qualified as an audiologist in 2012. I am a passionate individual and I absolutely adore what I do, every day! Hearing loss undoubtedly affects relationships and people’s ability to connect with one another and it is my aim to assist them in re-connecting through accurate diagnosis, counselling and by guiding them to find the right technology solution for their hearing and lifestyle requirements.
I qualified as an audiologist by acquiring my degree in Communication Pathology (Audiology) from the University of Pretoria in 2012 with distinction and attained academic honorary colours from the university. I completed my Community Service Year at Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital in Soweto in 2013 – 2014 which offered a huge range of experiences. While I was there I was a core member of the adult and paediatric audiology teams.
I have gained immense experience both in the private and public health sectors in South Africa. I became part of the NB Hearing team in 2015, focusing mainly on diagnostic audiology and the fitting of hearing aids, as well as aural rehabilitation.
Since I am so passionate about my field, I also enjoy sharing the joys of my work with others. I am a guest lecturer at the Academy of Sound Engineering in Cape Town, and I have lectured to first and second year students. Furthermore, I was also a guest speaker at the Hear2Day conference.
Areas of interest:
- Diagnostic audiology and rehabilitation of adult populations
- Electrophysiological assessment (objective measurement) of hearing and vestibular assessment
- The negative impact of untreated hearing loss on the brain and the benefit of early identification and intervention
- Counselling and management of hearing loss and the psycho-social impact of hearing loss on individuals and their family and/or friends
- Recreational noise exposure and raising awareness of hearing conservation practices (my Honours research was in this area).
I am a member of the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA) and the South African Association of Audiologists (SAAA).